Simple Splendor

Saturday, July 01, 2006

I went to a show at The Boathouse last night with Michelle, Steve and Tyler, and Andrew joined us later on.

Starting off the evening was Matt Lees, who I remembered from Cameron. If I'm not mistaken, he graduated the year I started. He played an acoustic set of original material with a couple of covers.

Up next was The Brown Hornets, a band from Toronto. They have some of the best stage presence I have ever seen. Ever. I'll certainly be making an effort to catch them again.

Then was the band we had come for - The Droops. Their funk-rock-blues set had everyone on their feet, myself included. They're one of the forerunners in K-Ws indie rock scene, which is really saying something! We have such an amazing community of musicians, fans and venues feeding the talent that's coming out of our little hub.

This was, by far, the best $5 show I've been to (and I've been to quite a few in my day). There's just something about the sweat, heat and stale air from having a hundred people crammed into a building built to hold fifty, feeling the bass in your chest and watching a band who has just played as if everything is on the line. It sends me to bed with a very euphoric feeling.

A feeling that was shattered after Portugal unjustly stole England's spot in the semi finals this morning. I don't want to talk about it.





I took a few pictures at the show. Some turned out better than others but, in hindsight, I should have changed my ISO.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home