Simple Splendor

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I realise that I have allowed quite the lapse in time since my last post. I've been meaning to post - believe me, I have! But, in all honesty, I needed to take a step back from everything. It's helped tremendously and I'm back in action.

So after taking a bit of "me time", making a commitment to revert back to a regular posting manner, and actually sitting down at the computer to start, all that was left was to decide what my "comeback post" should be about.

I settled on last night's election (which only 60% of eligible Canadians turned out for, might I add). Granted, I'm a newbie in regards to the voting world. It was the first election I was able to take part in and I took pride in placing my ballot in the box.

But here's what gets me: It's almost as though election time is when all of the naive and uninformed members of society crawl out of the woodwork. No, no. Election time is when I notice all of the naive and uniformed members of society.

I'm not the type of person to criticise someone on their political positions or who they happened to vote for. I believe that exercising your right is an important and honorable act, especially for Canada's young people. However, if for your own reasons you choose not to vote, I can respect that too. But it seems that there are some very noticeable differences between myself and some of the other young voters I've spoken to over the past couple of weeks.

First of all, a difference in political opinion in no way calls for personal attacks. I am so tired of hearing rude remarks brought about because someone is voting differently than someone else. You're vote is an individual choice rooted in your beliefs, upbringing, priorities, and morals and no one can judge you based on that.

I took the time to look into this year's campaigns so that, when I went to the polls, I could feel confident in knowing that I had made an informed decision. I know that not everyone is as interested in politics as I am, and I'm sure that many would find that kind of research tedious. But you would assume that those who hadn't got themselves caught up would then avoid discussions where such information is needed. What I have found, in fact, is that not everyone thinks that way.

Now, I'm not going to name names or point any fingers, but I will use the details to warn the rest of you. If you insist on starting a discussion about politics (not only with myself, but with anyone really) do not, by any means, make things up. And if you must, for whatever reason, try to not to make your points ludicrous. But let's say you are caught expressing your feelings on a made-up platform; don't continue to claim that it's true. The worst thing you can do is argue logic and truth with nonsense. It just doesn't work.

Normally, I can put up with that. I'll let the other person speak, hear what they have to say, and then end the conversation politely. But if you have the audacity to not only tell me I've voted for the wrong party, but then to tell me that I've been deceived - the conversation is over, buddy (sans politeness)!

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home